Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Roaming Kodiak




We have splashed through the salmon filled creeks, been tossed about in a Kodiak charter boat in the ocean and caught more salmon so far than we care to keep.
There have been bears..... bears on the road and lurking in the bushes. I have my special yellow whistle and it is guaranteed to keep them at bay. It has worked so far.
Kodiak has 3 huge wind turbines on a hill outside our cottage window. Looking up at them they makes you dizzy to bend your head back so far to look up.
Our charter boat trip was so fun that we had a hard time giving up our fishing poles. The sea was pretty choppy and it rained most of the day. It was so hard to find a dry and non bouncy time to take a picture. We brought in large halibut, King and silver salmon, black cod, 2 small sharks and 1 large surgeon by my dear hubby.
We have spent each day fishing somewhere. There are so many good fishing spots that are tempting us daily. They day stays light til 9:30 or 10:00 pm.
My brother Bob shamelessly got to go on a "one spot left on a ATV ride" to a prized remote lake. On one of our most rainy days he bounced, skidded and almost floated down and over mud hills and creeks. All for the prize of the "red sock eyed salmon". I would have gladly taken his place.
I have done some crafting and teaching our friend Annie who's home we are renting. I just don't have enough time to fish, craft, read, visit, nap and fish some more~!!!

4 comments:

Briar Rabbit Primitives said...

Wow Susie! What BIG Fishies you guys have caught! And the Bears are pretty darned Big too! I watch Deadliest Catch & the Time Bandit is one of the boats in the show. Very Cool! Enjoy the rest of your vacay! Hugs, Starla :)

bibmomma said...

Sue, I'm impressed with your fishing catch!! The fish are beautiful and so are the other pictures you've shared.

Thanks for sharing. It's so nice to see a place cooler than Texas!!!
Safe travels, Allie

Unknown said...

This sounds like a dream vacy to me. I love cool rainy weather, fishing and bears! Oh fresh salmon sounds so good too.~~Pam

Unknown said...

Susie, you look so happy!!!
Evie